Turkish Boza is one of those very traditional drinks and it’s typically sold in winter although it’s not a hot drink. It’s associated with cold days and snow because it has a warming effect, but I think it would be a great summer drink too since it’s served cold. It is a malt drink made from bulgur and it’s so rich in carbs. It’s almost as thick as a pudding with a sweet and tart flavor. You might find it weird when you first try it, but then you easily become addicted before you realize! It was known as a great drink to warm and strengthen your body. You don’t feel cold and you get stronger as you drink Turkish boza! What’s more, it is suggested to new moms since it increases breastmilk quite lot.
- 2 and 1/2 cups bulgur
- ½ cup rice
- 15 cups water
- ½ teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups extra sugar
- Cinnamon and roasted chickpeas for topping
- Fill a large and deep pot with 14 cups water.
- Wash bulgur and rice very well, add them into the post and boil until mushy.
- Strain them using a fine strainer and pressing with a spatula. Throw the dregs away.
- Let it sit uncovered away from the sun for about 2 hours.
- Mix 1 tablespoon sugar and yeast with 1 cup water and add into the pot. Cover it with the lid.
- Let it sit in a cool place for about 20 hours stirring every once in a while.
- Add the rest of the sugar after 20 hours and stir well.
- Keep it in refrigerator.